I leave for Tokyo in four days! I honestly don't have time to do tons of research on my destinations, but I also want to have many great experiences during my five days in Tokyo. I discovered a fantastic travel guide that I must share with you! It's called "Five Great Days in Tokyo- A Walking Guide!" I discovered it while browsing the bookstore from my Kindle and downloaded it for less than $5 and in less than 30 seconds. This book is fantastic. It's written by an American who is married to a Japanese man and spent 12 years living in Tokyo. You could literally open this book on your first day in Tokyo and not have to do any preplanning! It outlines itineraries for each of five days that focus on different aspects of Japanese culture: food, history, art, architecture, rural life, etc. It also shows you the kanji (Japanese language characters) that you should be looking for on a restaurant sign or subway route so you can navigate without knowing any Japanese. The book gives you enough background on each activity so that it is meaningful, but not so much history that you feel like you have homework to do beforehand. I read the book in about 20 minutes and thoroughly enjoyed it. Before, I was overwhelmed with how to plan my five days in Tokyo, but now I am confident that I will have a great time and not feel like I have missed anything important. One of the days, I will take a high speed train out of Tokyo to experience a traditional Japanese village and see Mt. Fuji. I am so excited! I also took Alecia's advice and downloaded the book to the Kindle app on my iPhone as well, so that I can watch for the kanji characters as I walk down the street without having my Kindle out of my bag. Next thing on my to-do list is to figure out what to do in Shanghai! If only there were a book called "Two Great Days in Shanghai!"
Monday, April 6, 2009
Perfect Last Minute Travel Guide
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment